Rowena appears in the kingdom by request of her cousin, King Randolph. He wanted Rowena to teach his daughters etiquette after hearing that his daughters were not fit to be "proper princesses". But Rowena forced the princesses to work hard, and in the same time slowly poisoning the king.
When the princesses went to the magical pavilion, she told the king, that the princesses had left him, but she herself had closed them in the pavilion, and told Desmond to break the magical stones. After, the king made Rowena a queen, and she told him all her plans.
The King almost died, and Rowena became the queen. But, in the castle all princesses appear and expose Rowena. She tried to keep herself safe, and with a magical flower, which she had taken in the golden pavilion, wished "for armor to protect the queen" which causes two suits of armor in the room to come to life and attack Genevieve and Derek. After Derek defeats the suits of armor Rowena uses a second magical flower to wish that Genevieve would keep dancing for ever. And Genevieve, with help of a fan, sent the golden pollen back to Rowena. Rowena then starts to dance and cannot stop when her servant Desmond, tries to help her but he becomes affected as soon as he touches her. They leave the kingdom cursed to dance together forever, with Brutus in pursuit
It was implied that she wanted (and needed) to take over the kingdom because she was struggling financially. Her carriage was in shambles, the trader told Derek that she never paid her bills and the fact that she had to sell Queen Isabella's silver goblet to pay for the poison she was using on King Randolph.
Rowena was shown as the true main antagonist: she categorically doesn't like ice cream, color and music. also the most thing that she hate the most is dances; she has a cold, cruel and proud character. At the same time, she's ready to do anything, if it is for her win. She stole Queen Isabella's goblet, to pay the trader. Also she doesn't like her servant Desmond, but likes her monkey, Brutus,very much.
Rowena has gray hair and light blue eyes. She wears a lot of jewelry, and all of them are made of a cold, blue-green stone. Her 18th Century dress is also in light-blue color and has a very big skirt. She doesn't like bright or colorful colors and forces the princesses to wear gray dresses.
- '' (to Genevieve) Why not get what you always wanted, I wish you would dance forever, and ever and ever!''
- ''And it looks like I have my work cut out for me.''
- (To Desmond) ''Desmond, remove this mess.''
- (To Burtus) ''No, your'e still a monkey.''
- (To the all 12 Dancing Princesses)'' Tommorow, you'll clean the stables, as for tonight, I'm locking you in. Nobody's going out dancing. I promise you that! Your father is sick, and who could blame him, taking care all of you with your wild ways, if you really want your father to get better, you leave him alone.''
- ''You shall clean the front garden, I want it spotless.''
- ''Things are going to be a bit different around here now, starting with your tier.''
- A running gag in the film shows that Rowena almost always gets the princesses' names wrong (i.e. calling Fallon "Blair"). The only princess that Rowena gets the name right is Genevieve.
- When Fallon asks if she can hold Brutus, Rowena said don't touch him, because he's quite rare.
- She is the cousin of King Randolph.
|Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses|
Quote: "There's a difference only you can make."
Characters: Brutus | Desmond | Duchess Rowena | Felix | King Randolph | Prince Derek | Princess Ashlyn | Princess Blair | Princess Courtney | Princess Delia | Princess Edeline | Princess Fallon | Princess Genevieve | Princess Hadley | Princess Isla | Princess Janessa | Princess Kathleen | Princess Lacey | Queen Isabella | Twyla